Senator Friedrich Schiedel
Friedrich Schiedel (*13. September 1913 — † March 28, 2001, in Grünburg) was born in Bad Wurzach (in those days: Baierz) in 1913 in modest circumstances. After graduating from high school in 1931, he began studying engineering in civil engineering and road construction. After the war ended, he founded the Erbacher Bauwaren company in Erbach near Ulm in 1946. This happened, as he always liked to report “literally with two borrowed shovels and a borrowed wheelbarrow”. In the following years, the small business grew into an economically strong and successful group of companies with a total of 17 plants. From 1951 the Erbacher Bauwaren produced under the name “Schiedel”.
Friedrich Schiedel advocated the transfer of scientific research results and technological innovations into commercial practice at an early stage. But it was not only the innovative strength and the upswing of his company or the progress in production technologies that were important to him. As a socially responsible and far-sighted entrepreneur, he always paid attention to adequate social benefits for his employees and their families, which is still the philosophy of the company today.
Due to his extensive commitment as an entrepreneur, he received numerous honours: For his socially committed and entrepreneurial work, he was awarded numerous awards, including the Cross of Merit on Ribbon of the Federal Republic of Austria (1975), the Grand Medal of Honor for Services to the Republic of Austria (1978) and the Federal Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1983), also with the Grand Silver Medal for Services to the Republic of Austria (1989), the Medal of Merit of the State of Baden-Württemberg (1992) and the Bavarian Order of Merit (1996). He also received honorary citizenship from the cities of Hauerz / Bad Wurzach (1971), Puchschlag / Schwabhausen (1971) and Markt Schöllnach in the Bavarian Forest (1977). In 1971, Friedrich Schiedel was also appointed honorary senator at the Technical University (TU) in Munich, with which his company worked intensively.